EzLicence Payment Policy
This policy details how EzLicence collects payments for driving lessons & how driving instructors are paid.
- EzLicence sets the single lesson price the learner driver pays, the single lesson price may vary based on the learner's location and from time to time.
- All available instructors presented to a learner driver will be the same price per lesson. There is no price competition amongst instructors within the EzLicence platform.
- Learners cannot book a lesson with an instructor until EzLicence has received full payment.
- Lesson duration is 1 hr only.
There are only two variables that will impact the price a learner pays for a lesson:
- Location: EzLicence at its discretion and based on local market conditions, may choose to increase or decrease lesson prices in a location.
- Volume discounts: Learners are incentivised to buy lesson packages and are rewarded with discounts for upfront purchases. Discounts can also be achieved when learners make additional lesson purchases.
Any volume discounts applied are directly related to the single lesson price for the location. EzLicence offers the following discounts for the purchase of multiple lessons in one upfront payment:
Full price1-5 lessons
- Discount applied from lesson 1
Learners can receive discounts on additional lesson purchases, discounts only apply to the additional or new lessons purchased. The discount band applied is determined by the total number of lessons purchased, including previous purchases.
Example: A learner who has already purchased a 5 lesson package subsequently makes an additional purchase of 4 more lessons. Total lessons purchased is now 9. A lesson total of 9 now places the learner into the 5% discount band. Therefore, a 5% discount is applied to the additional purchase of 4 new lessons. This results in the learner paying full price for lesson 1-5 and receiving a 5% discount on lesson 6-9.
At the time of each lesson or lesson package purchase, the revenue allocated to each lesson is calculated (see previous point) and set within the EzLicence platform. This will determine the revenue paid to instructors as each lesson is delivered. Regardless of how many lessons are purchased or how many separate purchases are made, each lesson has a fixed amount calculated and allocated to it. Two examples are provided below:
- Single upfront purchase of 7 lessons: Purchase falls into the discount band of 6-9 lessons, therefore an amount equal to 5% off the single lesson price is applied to all 7 lessons.
First upfront purchase of 5 lessons, a second new purchase of an additional 4 lessons & a third new purchase of 3 lessons:
- First purchase of 5 lessons will have the single lesson price allocated - no discount.
- Second purchase of 4 lessons will have an amount equal to 5% off the single lesson price allocated to all 4 lessons (6 - 9 lesson band).
- Third purchase of 3 lessons will have an amount equal to 10% off the single lesson price allocated to all 3 lessons (10 - 19 lesson band).
- A learner can change instructors at any time and the lesson payment allocation remains unaffected. It is plausible an instructor could be delivering only the final 3 lessons of a 10 lesson package, the new instructor will therefore receive revenue based on a lesson price with a 10% discount applied.
Cancellations & rescheduling
- The learner will incur no charge for a cancelled lesson 24 hours or more prior to the lesson start time.
- A learner can reschedule a lesson 24 hours or more prior to the lesson start time. The learner will incur no charge to reschedule.
Within 24 hrs of a lesson start time, a learner cannot cancel or reschedule a lesson within the EzLicence platform. EzLicence will assume the lesson is proceeding and standard payment authorisation notification is sent to the instructor after the lesson time expires. If the lesson did not proceed enforcement of the cancellation policy and authorisation of payment is at the sole discretion of the instructor. There are only two possible scenarios:
- Enforce cancellation policy and authorise full payment.
- Waive the payment entirely allowing the learner to rebook their lesson with no charge taken.
- Instructor revenue share is always directly related to the price a learner pays for each individual lesson. The more the learner pays, the more the instructor receives.
- Volume discounts applied to lesson prices reduce the revenue received by both the instructor & EzLicence proportionally.
- A learner can only book a lesson in an instructor's calendar if a lesson payment has already been received by EzLicence. At the time of booking a lesson, the EzLicence system automatically allocates the instructor’s payment.
- Regardless of how many lessons a learner has purchased, instructor revenue is paid on a lesson by lesson basis.
- Instructors authorise payment at the completion of each lesson. The learner & EzLicence do not participate in the authorisation process.
- EzLicence pays each instructor fortnightly. All accrued & authorised (by the instructor) lesson payments within the fortnight are combined into one payment. Along with payment, the instructor receives a comprehensive revenue transaction report providing full detail on each lesson.
Instructors receive 75% of the revenue allocated to a lesson. Notice will be given to instructors should the % revenue allocation change. Although the % earning remains consistent, the lesson revenue volume can change due to one of the following four variables:
- Full single lesson price
- 5% off the single lesson price
- 10% off the single lesson price
- 12.5% off the single lesson price
Example: If the single lesson price for a learner is $70, instructors will be paid one of 4 amounts per lesson, depending on the volume of lessons a learner has purchased:
Lesson payment authorisation
- At the time a Learner books a lesson, the EzLicence platform automatically allocates the lesson revenue to the selected instructor.
At the completion of a scheduled lesson time, the instructor will be asked to authorise their own lesson payment. This is a very simple process and allows a certain level of flexibility if for some reason the lesson didn’t occur as scheduled:
- Lesson completed: Instructor receives text & email notification at lesson completion. Instructor clicks on the web link and is taken into their online portal. The instructor simply confirms the lesson took place and the instructor payment will instantly be scheduled to be paid in the next fortnightly payout.
Lesson not completed: Instructor receives text & email notification at lesson completion as usual. Instructor clicks on the web link and is taken into their online portal. The instructor chooses ‘no’ when asked to confirm if the lesson took place. This response generates a secondary question to the instructor, asking them if they wish to enforce full payment for the lesson that did not take place:
- Yes: Payment will instantly be scheduled to be paid in the next fortnightly payout.
- No: Full lesson payment will be returned to the learner and available for the booking of another lesson.
- Note: If the learner had no further credit in their account, they will be unable to book further lessons until the lesson payment has been returned.
- If a completed lesson has not been authorised by the instructor within 14 days, the full lesson payment will be returned to the learner. The instructor can log into their portal at any time and authorise any outstanding payments for completed lessons.
Refund of lesson payments
- From time to time EzLicence may receive requests to refund lesson payments. EzLicence will investigate all requests and at its sole discretion make a determination whether a refund should be paid.
If EzLicence believes a lesson payment should be refunded to the learner, the instructor & EzLicence will forfeit their full revenue share for the lesson. The instructor revenue portion for the lesson will be recovered via one of the following methods:
- If the lesson payment has not yet been received by the instructor, the allocated revenue share will be deducted from the instructors next fortnightly payment.
- If the instructor has received the lesson payment EzLicence will deduct the equivalent payment from the instructors next fortnightly payment that contains sufficient funds to cover the refund amount.
Following are some of the scenarios where a lesson payment could be refunded:
- It is brought to EzLicence’s attention that the initial payment received was fraudulent or unauthorised by the cardholder.
- The instructor authorised a lesson payment for a lesson the learner did not receive due to the instructor's actions, not the learners. e.g. the instructor did not turn-up and complete the lesson.
- A complaint is received and it is determined that the instructor breached the EzLicence Instructor Terms and Conditions. This list is not exhaustive and EzLicence reserves the right to refund payments to learners on a case by case basis, upon the review of any complaints received.
EzLicence incurs significant transaction and payout fees as a result of collecting and passing on revenue to a high volume of instructors. EzLicence absorbs the vast majority of these fees.
Instructor payout accounts will be charged $3.16 per month as a transaction fee expense recovery. This will be deducted from any payout. This fee is only charged if there is lesson revenue to be paid within a month, it will not be charged or carried over if no lesson payment is due in a month.
As an example, if an instructor completed 15 lessons with EzLicence learners in a month, they could earn up to $787.50. $3.16 would be deducted during the month, reducing each lessons payment by an effective amount of only $0.21.
This policy may be updated from time to time.