Documents and checks
You’ll need to obtain and provide to the RMS:
- A completed driving instructor application form
- A completed medical check stating that you're fit to drive
- Pass police and criminal checks
- Provide a Working with Children Check number and expiry date for employment purposes
- Two specimen signatures & Four colour passport-sized photos
RMS Letter of eligibility
When all documents are provided, checks completed and you've passed the required tests, the Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) will issue a letter of eligibility.
Complete the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics
You cannot enroll into TLI41218 Certificate IV in Driving Instruction (Road Transport Car Driving Instruction) unless you hold a current letter of eligibility."
The Certificate IV program is a combination of online modules with in-car assessments. The average time to complete the course is 4 - 8 weeks.
Regulator final assessment
After you've successfully completed the instructor training course, you'll have to pass a final assessment in the type of vehicle you wish to teach. You're required to supply the vehicle for all driving tests and assessments.
After you've passed the Regulator Final Assessment and paid the licence fee, you'll be issued with a Driving Instructor Licence, valid for five years.